February 10, 2018

Revolution Mineshaft Gap 2018

Brewed By: Revolution Brewing Company in Chicago, IL
Purchased: 12oz CAN from a 4-pack bought at Revolution Brewing Tap Room in Chicago, IL; 2018
Style/ABV: American Barrel-Aged Barleywine, 14.3%
Reported IBUs: 55

Oh baby, I am excited for tonight's brew. Revolution's Mineshaft Gap is part of their Straight Jacket release, and puts a cognac twist on their Barleywine. Per Rev: "Our Institutionalized Barleywine takes shelter in Cognac barrels for 12 months before emerging imbued with characteristics of one of the worlds most storied spirits. French oak adds character that is subdued but complex as compared to American varieties, making this a perfect beer for the best of times or the end of times."

This might be the "headiest" of the Revolution barrel-aged brews, pouring with a couple fingers of relatively long-lasting, amber/caramel-tinged head. The body of this beer is a beautiful ruby red, and there is a nice ring of lacing sustaining in my glass.

So full disclaimer...I am not a cognac guy. I'm way out of my element on this. On the other hand, I have dabbled with some brandy here and there, so I'm not a complete stranger to the flavor. The aroma on this is bonkers though. Like, the aroma is crawling out of the glass. I can smell this four or five feet away. When I really get my nose into the beer I'm getting a lot of the base. There are big notes of licorice, Twizzlers, caramel sugars, cherries, and caramelized and candied oranges But "the twist" is that French oak. This lays up some vanilla on the nose, with a hefty amount of wood/barrel, and some nice spice. There's also an estery quality to the aroma that is reminiscent of a Belgian Quad. I'm wondering if that is courtesy of the yeast used, which is likely some English Barleywine yeast. You get some almost turbinado or Belgian Candi sugar. 

Holy fuck. This shit is INSANE. On my first sip I'm being drowned in thick caramel, French oak, cognac, and candy sugars. It is like Straight Jacket with Belgian-Candi-sugar-hugs and layers of French oak. And the body is thick and sticky. Oh baby. There are layers in here too. I'm pulling out cherries, Quad-like overripe stone fruit notes, estery yeast phenols, licorice/Twizzlers, layers of toffee and caramel sugar, and tons of vanilla and oak. The vanilla is accompanied by a light spice.

Revolution Mineshaft Gap 2018
What's incredible about this beer are two things: (1) the booze is held in check. I'm going to expand on this point in a minute, because I have heard a few people say this beer is hot (which it is). (2) the base beer remains present. I was kind of expecting the cognac treatment to thin this beer out. But NOPE. The base beer has held up like a champ here. This has all the candy sweetness and density you expect with Straight Jacket, but with that cognac twist.

There's alcohol here. Because cognac. And "duh." If you have never had brandy/cognac, this might not be the best beer to pop your cherry. It's boozy stuff. Brandy especially, and ESPECIALLY fruited (plum) brandy, is often alcohol-forward and not in that smooth-like-grain-alcohol-kind of way. It's like that first time you had barrel-proof bourbon. It's like the first time you ever took a shot of vodka.

Having said all that, this beer is not brandy. It's a fusion of beer aged in cognac barrels. And while you pick up plenty of the spirit, the beer itself is smooth. This is full-bodied, and it wears the 14.3% beautifully. It is right where you want it to be. The palate depth is medium-to-deep. This is very complex but within the confines of the medium. Palate duration is amazing though. Each sip is lingering for a few minutes. The progression is like [get your nose close to the glass and pick up a shit load of fruity cognac notes] up front tons of vanilla and base beer and candied cherries and oranges; the mids takes you to cognac land with more French vanilla showing up; the back end drops wood and caramel sugars, toffee, some spice, and finishes between sticky sweetness and candy fruits. There is lingering residual Belgian Candi sugar note.

Rating: Decent Divine Brew (5.0/5.0 Untappd)

Damn. I was not expecting to love this as much as I do. This is an instant buy for me moving forward. They had like four 4-pack limits on this. My regret is not maxing that limit. Still...I think this probably works as a very special occasion beer. I could even see myself throwing a cigar at this, although it also seems like a bit of waste when there is so much nuance here. For me, the real surprise is how prominent the oak and vanilla is. If you like vanilla and oak this beer is going to work for you. Revolution has absolutely dialed in their barrel game. Jeez.

Random Thought: So my guy, Josh Noel, and Chris Quinn (who I have the utmost respect for) dropped an article comparing Goose Island to Revolution. I'm more-or-less in agreement with them. I think regular Bourbon County overall is better than the regular Deth's Tar. So that's where I really diverge, I guess. I'm in agreement that Cafe Deth is better than Bourbon County Coffee 2017, but I also really liked the 2017 BCBS Coffee. Straight Jacket over the Bourbon County Barleywine is a no-brainer. I'm gonna have to pop my bottle of BCBS Reserve, but I kind of think DBVSOD might actually be better. I had Reserve at the brewpub on Black Friday and I thought it was amazing...but I also think DBVSOD is amazing. Comparing Northwoods to Deth By Cherries is just dumb and Noel should feel bad. Same deal with Prop vs. Ryeway. Ryeway is (by the way) blow-a-load-on-my-face good. But so is Prop. I'm not surprised Quinn isn't the biggest Prop fan. I think that speaks to the diverge in beer (at least for someone classically trained as a Ceasaroni) between appreciating nuance vs. appreciating pastry stouts in 2017. Comparing Rare '15 to VSOD is also dumb. '15 has had a lot of time to mature and age, and VSOD is inherently thinner. So I don't really get that comparison. 

I think the reality is it's not really productive to do these 1:1 comparisons because there is so much difference and nuance. So as always I appreciate the in-depth tasting notes, and the ranking thing is meh. The takeaway though is...2018 is a good year to be a craft beer fan in Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment