September 24, 2014

Founders Mosaic Promise

Brewed By: Founders Brewing Company in Grand Rapids, Michigan
Purchased: 12oz bottle from a 6-pack bought at Binny's in Chicago, IL; 2014 
Style/ABV: American Pale Ale, 5.5%
Reported IBUs: 50

Have you heard? Mosaic is the new Citra. About Founders:
Founders is the holy grail of Michigan brewing. Based out of Grand Rapids, Michigan, Founders was founded in 1997 by Mike Stevens and Dave Engbers, and produces some of the best beer in the world. If you haven't heard of Founders...well, what are you doing? Get on that, now.
The Mosaic Promise is is a single malt, single hop beer. "Proceeds from the sale of this new ale will benefit ArtPrize, the world’s largest art competition that takes place annually in Grand Rapids, Mich." The Mosaic Promise is brewed with Golden Promise malts, and Mosaic hops, and is a limited release beer for September 2014. 

Founders Mosaic Promise
This pours into a juicy, hazy, yellow-gold body. This actually looks like a tropical fruit explosion, and the haze is my bag. I swear, this beer is trying to win me over. The beer kicks up a finger of white-tinged head that is surprisingly short lived but gives way to a great cauldron effect. The lacing and carbonation is spot on.

This beer is a grower not a shower...I was underwhelmed upon first sniff, but this is growing on me as I open the second bottle. It is clean, with watery and refreshing hops...much like a Pale Ale. I'm getting passion fruit, tropical fruits, and huge citrus. The citrus goes into dank and resinous orange...but without the peel. I'm also getting some light blueberry notes, which is a thing for Mosaic hops. There is some lemon zest in here as well.

Taste: This is watery, clean, and refreshing. The malts aren't assertive, and I appreciate that. This reminds me of Zombie Dust, and it also reminds me of Maine's Lunch and Another One. That's good company to keep. This rolls out sharp and resinous/dank lemon, cut grass, lemon zest, orange, and big tropical fruit. I'm getting some pineapple in the taste that I wasn't getting in the aroma. The finish is surprisingly bitter, but it's clean and dry. The malts give hints of cracker and stale biscuit, which is a nice backbone for this fantastic hop.

It's too bad this is a limited release, because this is a super delicious Pale Ale. It's light and refreshing at 5.5%. Light bodied, good palate depth, and good complexity for a two-note beer. This is refined: up front you get resinous citrus, tropical fruit, lemon zest, pineapple; the mids roll into more of the same, with some grassy notes and burgeoning cracker; the back end dials up the cracker/biscuit and finishes dry. This has a fairly dry/bitter/hoppy finish for just 50 IBUs, and I like it.

Rating: Above-Average (4.0/5.0 Untappd)

I'm feeling a Strong Above-Average here. This could rival your Zombie Dusts or Lunches, so it's too bad it is a limited release. I don't think it is quite as good as Another One, but yeah. This is a cute little banger, I'd recommend pairing it with a leafy burger or some rustic spinach pizza. Pretty solid shit, if you see a sixer pick this up while it's hot/fresh/etc.


Random Thought: DAE sours are the new IPA? 

No comments:

Post a Comment