June 26, 2014

Three Floyds Space Station Middle Finger

Brewed By: Three Floyds Brewing Company in Munster, Indiana 
Purchased: 22oz bottle purchased at Whole Foods in Chicago, IL; 2014
Style/ABV: American Pale Ale, 6.0%

Reported IBUs: 50
The real "Space Station Middle Finger"

What's the story with this beer? I love the psychedelic bottle art and the kick-ass name, but why "space station middle finger?" All I can think of are the bosses from Starfox. About Three Floyds:
Today we go to Munster, Indiana, where Three Floyds has been brewing beer since 1996. The brewery was founded by brothers Nick and Simon, and their father Mike Floyd - hence, the name, Three Floyds. The first brewery was originally located in Hammond, Indiana. Eventually Three Floyds outgrew their original location, and moved to Munster, Indiana. After moving to Munster, and seeing an increased demand for their beer, Three Floyds began to bottle their beer. Since 2000, the brewery has continued to grow. And in 2005, the brewery opened its first brewpub. The brewery is probably most famous for their Dark Lord Stout. If you haven't heard of it, Google "Dark Lord Day." And then weep at the beer you probably will never be able to drink.
The Space Station Middle Finger is an American Pale Ale punching in at 6.0% and 50 IBUs. The bottle reads: "From the dawn of time, humans have looked to the sky for answers. Space Station Middle Finger replies to all from its eternal orbit. Behold and enjoy Space Station Middle Finger, a bright golden American Pale Ale."
Three Floyds Space Station Middle Finger

This one pours into a hazy, murky, amber/copper body, kicking up three fingers of hop-fueled head. Bright light reveals the beer's hazy yellow/orange body; the head is clearly tinted with golden and orange hues. There's nice lacing here, and this looks to be appropriately carbonated. Hooray.

The aroma here is massively juicy, with Three Floyds' distinct and characteristic hop punch. There is punchy citrus on the nose, almost veering into guava and resin, with faint citrus and nutmeg spice, and a mild cracker and bread backbone. I'm getting faint lemon and garlic as well.

Reviewing Pale Ales is like reviewing water (not because they are watery, but because everyone know what water tastes like). But Three Floyds has managed to exceed expectations, again, much like how they do with Zombie Dust. This is much less hoppy than Zombie Dust, and much less sweet. This beer leans on bready and cracker malts, with dank and earthy citrus hops. The hops suggest citrus rind, resin, and there's some earthy garlic/onion notes in here as well. 

This beer is fairly substantial for the style...I want to say it's light-bodied, but it kind of approaches that medium-light mouthfeel. At 6.0% this is no slouch, but it's not going to knock you on your ass. It's clean, refreshing, carbonated...all the stuff you want from a Pale Ale. Palate depth is on point for the style, and complexity is okay as well. I mean...this is fairly straightforward: big citrus hops up front; a bready and earthy middle with some onion, resin, rind, and funky hops; the back end drifts into a malty backbone with some grassy hops lingering around. It's a competent beer but it's not the epiphany that Zombie Dust is.

Rating: Above-Average (4.0/5.0 Untappd)

I'm feeling a Light
 Above-Average on this. Three Floyds knows how to make a hoppy beer, but this beer feels very much like "business as usual." There is nothing wrong with that per se, but yeah. It's no Zombie Dust...or Arctic Panzer Wolf...or Dreadnaught. I would order this again on tap, however. And the raw, earthy, resiny, citrus rind/garlic/onion notes in this beer seem like they would pair wonderfully with chicken dishes, egg burritos, salsa, and anything that goes well with garlic/onions. I love onions...but they fucking hate me.

Random Thought: So if you haven't noticed, I'm a bit of a glassware whore. I have hundreds of beer glasses...too many. But I love my beer glasses, and I think having glassware on hand adds to the beer drinking experience. It's my thing. Anyway, if you notice a lack of unique glassware in my upcoming reviews, it is because I am in the process of moving. At the moment, all my beer glasses are safely packed away in bubblewrap in tupperware bins ready to be moved. I'm hoping to remove my beer glasses from their tupperware coffins come August or September. Until then...I'll be sticking to one or two beer glasses. Believe you me, I am just as sad as you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment