February 21, 2012

New Belgium Fat Tire

Brewed By: New Belgium Brewing Company in Fort Collins, Colorado
Purchased: Single bottle (12oz) from New Belgium's Spring Sampler from Jewel-Osco in Chicago, Illinois; 2012
Style/ABV: American Amber Ale, 5.2%

Alright, tonight I'm wrapping up the New Belgium Spring Sampler. I've already reviewed Fat Tire for myself, so to keep this interesting I am going to re-review the beer right now, and compare my old notes and score with this current review. Before I talk about Fat Tire:
New Belgium is based out of Fort Collins, and opened in 1991 when founder Jeff Lebesch took his home-brewing into the commercial world. For reference, New Belgium is the thrid-largest craft brewery in the United States. You can read more about New Belgium if you check out their website.
Fat Tire is one of those classic beers that is available everywhere, and just about everyone has tried. The beer is up there with Guinness, Sam Adams, and Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale in terms of infamous craft beers. Fat Tire is a beer named after co-founder Kim Jordan's bike trip through Europe. The beer is described as balanced with toasty and biscuit-like malt flavors balanced with hoppy freshness. The beer uses Willamette (spicy, fruity, floral, earthy), Goldings (mild aromatics and bittering), and Target (English hop aroma) hops; and Pale, C-80, Munich, and Victory malts. Clocking in at 5.2% ABV, the beer has 18.5 IBUs and packs 155 calories per bottle. Let's dig in.

New Belgium Fat Tire
The pour reveals a brown-gold, copper/amber beer with 3-fingers of slightly off-white head. The head is made up of large bubbles that have a thin, dish soap quality. The head is slightly foamy. There is moderate carbonation, and this beer is super filtered and transparent. There is some lacing on my nonic pint.

The aroma on the Fat Tire is pleasant earthy and herbal hop notes; English hops. There are roasted malts, and hints of biscuit on the nose as well. I'm picking up a touch of stale biscuit, and maybe a hint of citrus.

The taste is about the same as the nose. Lots of mild hops, and a biscuit-like and grainy finish. There are hints of fruit from the hops up front, earthy, and herbal hop notes. Grain, biscuit, earth. There is a really hard flavor on the front of the palate: I can't tell if it is toffee or fruit, it reminds me of hard water.

This is light, non-assertive, well-carbonated, smooth, and super drinkable. This is a session beer, and a beer that you could use to convert someone to craft beer. The finish is refreshing and biscuit-like, and the beer reminds me very much of Spring. Palate depth is full, and complexity is moderate to low. You get smooth carbonation up front, with that hard note, biscuity malt, and pleasant English hops; this rolls into a grainy and biscuit-like middle, with English hop balance; the back end is trailing hops that opens up to that biscuity and refreshing finish. This feels good in the mouth, and is well-carbonated. There is also nice lacing on the glass.

Rating: Average
Score: 73%
 
So, I dug through my old review notes. Last time I drank this beer (some time in 2011) I gave it a 76%. I think that it is pretty fucking impressive that I only deviated by 3%. Even more impressive is that I rated it "Average" both times. I guess I am reliable.  

Fat Tire was one of the beers that popped my craft beer cherry. It was also one of the first craft beers I really enjoyed. I remember a turbulent journey to craft beer. My journey included Dogfish Head's 60 or 90 Minute IPA (I can't remember), Guinness, Old Rasputin, and Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale. I'll be honest, I thought most of those beers tasted like shit when I first had them. It takes time to adjust your palate to big hop flavors and big roasted and burnt malts. At any rate, Fat Tire was one of the first craft beers that I remember really enjoying. I drank the beer at a very memorable time too: it was on a beautiful warming Spring evening in Chicago during my Freshman year of college. I have very fond memories of Fat Tire, and I was a fan way before I became a craft beer geek. 

You cannot do wrong with Fat Tire. This is an incredibly balanced and refined beer. This beer is a simple pleasure: nice mild hops balanced by some lovely biscuity malts. The best part is that this beer is available everywhere (and in bomber form!) and it doesn't cost very much. If you are familiar with craft beer, you've probably had Fat Tire. If you are new to craft beer and happen to stumble upon this review, do yourself a favor: go check out Fat Tire. It is the perfect gateway beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment