November 30, 2011

Review Format: the Experiment is Over

If you read this blog (I'm sorry) you probably have noticed that I have been messing with my review format. I've set up the past couple of reviews with clearly outlined sections for "easy reading." Easy reading is nice, and it actually makes for easy writing when I just dump my thoughts into organized sections. I'm concerned though, because easy writing lends itself to lazy writing.

This is a beer review blog, but this is "Not Another" beer review blog. When I created this blog, I created it for a number of reasons: storing my beer reviews, educating myself about the beers that I do review, and sharing my love for beer with anyone who feels compelled to listen to me ramble.

Because I want to take the time to introduce the brewery and the style of beer for the beers that I review, I went with an editorial-style approach to my reviews. This gave me the option to spend time talking about the beer, complaining about things, and then eventually telling you how I feel about the beer itself.

When I break my beer reviews down into clearly defined sections, I feel like I lose some of the freedom to talk about the beer. I feel like I lose some of the "stuff" that originally defined my blog in the first place. I want to talk about the beer; I want to tell you about the brewery; I want to bitch and moan, because beer culture has its fair share of retardisms. Look at Shitty Beer Tuesday, for example. I'm very amused by Shitty Beer Tuesday, and I look forward to a future of drinking more malt beverages that are more closely related to urine than actual beer. My point is: I'm not going to shove Shitty Beer Tuesday into a nicely packaged format for easy digesting. That seems hypocritical to the spirit of Shitty Beer Tuesday, and to this blog.

There's more fluidity and freedom when I write a review editorial style. That means that I will alienate some readers. That means that you will actually have to read through the entire review to extract content. It won't be "easy reading" like the past few reviews that have had clearly outlined sections. But I need to remain true to myself, and the original spirit of this blog.

So what is the format going to look like from now on?

There will be a TITLE. So you know what beer I'm drinking

Brewed By: [And I'll tell you who brews it,] in [and where it is brewed.]
Purchased: [I'll tell you what type of container it in] from [and where I bought it so you can stalk me.]
Style/ABV: [And I'll tell you the style, and how drunk it will get you.]


Then I will do an introduction of the brewery, the beer, and the beer style.

I'll review the beer of course...and give it a rating.

And then there will be a conclusion.

This isn't just a beer review blog. This is a place for me to vent about things that are silly in the industry, to learn about beer, to learn about the cool people who brew beer, and to think out loud. So, the experiment is over. You are not going to see any more beer reviews that look like the past few I have done. The plus side? There will be more Shitty Beer Tuesday. I'm looking your way Corona...you better watch out!

No comments:

Post a Comment